This week in reading, we are learning to use a range of strategies to figure out tricky words when we are reading. Some of the strategies that we have learnt:
To be successful at using a range of strategies, students should be able to say:
- I can cross check to see if the pictures match what I read.
- I can use graph sounds, digraph sounds and trigraph sounds to sound out new words.
- I can stretch a word out and reread.
- I can chunk to sound out words.
- I can skip a word, then come back and reread. I can trade a word or guess a word that makes sense.
Handy Hint: When reading at home don’t just ask your adult readers to tell you a tricky word. Try using your strategies!